Dear McDevitt Community,
As many of you know, Dr. Matthew Powell, the President of Bishop McDevitt High School for the past two years chose to pursue a new career path in May.
It is with tremendous enthusiasm for Catholic education, pride in the Bishop McDevitt community, and personal humility that I assume the role of Interim President of Bishop McDevitt High School. Our campus on Royal Avenue has served as a tremendous pedagogical environment for thousands of Lancer students and teachers for over 60 years. Being handed the keys to this legacy is not something I take lightly.
My pride emanates from what we have accomplished as community. The Lancer Class of 2019 left their mark and set a high bar for the class of 2020:
- 100% graduation rate of the senior class (99) students representing (15) different countries.
- 77% received scholarships valued in excess of $14 Million, with (344) total scholarships.
- On average, Lancer graduates received $143,350 in scholarships and grants.
- Students were accepted at (72) different colleges and universities.
I am humbled to hold this seat, albeit it temporarily, and pledge to work to the best of my abilities. As I have said to a number of people already, McDevitt is not a fort, and I am not here to “hold it down.” To the contrary, we are not static; we are moving forward. I am here to advance the mission on behalf of our students and school families in conjunction with the administration, faculty, and staff.
The academic year can seem like a marathon in terms of length, but we will be running at top speed and doing so immediately. The summer provides us with the best opportunity to identify what we do well and thus maximize it, as well as acknowledge our weaknesses and work on them until they become our strengths.
As a former high school history teacher in one of our Archdiocesan high schools, I worked with my students on goal setting. We watched movies like Rudy to illicit ideas for best practices. We found that writing down our goals and sharing them with others were two ways to hold yourself accountable in your pursuits. In that spirit, I have set the following goals for myself:
- Assist in the improvement of the communication process, top to bottom.
- Manifest best strategies and practices with the intention of increasing enrollment.
- Create fiscal efficiencies.
- Clarify role responsibilities.
- Maintain and strengthen external and internal relationships relative to the school and its community.
My enthusiasm for education stretches from my days as a student and as a young teacher in this system. I like to think, that even though I have moved into leadership, I have not lost that teacher/student lens. I hope you will join me in expressing your enthusiasm for all that Royal Avenue has to offer our community. Please feel free to reach out to me if you feel you have input to offer in any of these areas, or simply to introduce yourself. I look forward to meeting and getting to know all of you.
Best wishes for a happy and restful 4th of July Holiday!
Jason M. Budd